Seeking Book Reviews Editor
Job Description: Book Reviews Editor
The Book Review Editor is a volunteer (unpaid) position who manages the solicitation, assessment, and acceptance of book reviews that will be submitted to, and eventually published in, the Canadian Journal of Disability Studies.
The Book Review Editor is responsible for the following:
- Identify books
- Select academic books in critical disability studies that warrant being reviewed in the Canadian Journal of Disability Studies.
- Determine non-fiction, film, and other types of media that warrant being reviewed in the Canadian Journal of Disability Studies
- Liaise with publishers as required
- Obtain copies of the publications from the publishers as needed
- Identify reviewers
- Find academics, graduate students, and community members who are interested in evaluating monographs/media selected for review
- Work with the Social Media Editor to publicize calls for reviewers (general or for specific texts)
- Provide feedback to the reviewer
- Offer written feedback on manuscripts that are submitted
- Make the editorial decision on the review (accept for publication, revise and resubmit, reject) in consultation with the managing editor
- Complete publication tasks
- Publish 1-2 reviews per issue of the CJDS
- Complete reviews in a timely manner
- Copyedit reviews as required
- Work collaboratively
- The Book Reviews Editor will be working with the Managing Editor, Associate Editors, and other persons involved with the CJDS
The Book Review Editor is an individual who is familiar with the field of critical disability studies. They are someone who holds a PhD in critical disability studies or a related field (e.g., English, Sociology). Experience with reviewing manuscripts for publication is an asset. Applicants must be willing to hold the position for a minimum of one year (12 months), and ideally for at least three years.
Interested persons should submit a copy of their CV and a letter of interest to Jay Dolmage (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 13th, 2022.